Speakeasy Solutions is pleased to announce the release of Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 12.5, a free service pack for those with a Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 12.0 licence.
This service pack is for nonmedical editions of Dragon such as Professional and Legal (i.e. this does not include Dragon Medical Practice Edition).
Version 12.5 introduces some bug fixes and improvements, some documented and some undocumented.
While increasingly compatible with Windows 8, there are a number of known issues concerning using Dragon NaturallySpeaking in a Windows 8 environment. You may wish to read more about these known issues in these release notes.
A Selection of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Improvements
Improved Microsoft Windows 8 usability: Windows 8 is now fully supported with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5.
- The new Dragon Audio Bar can be displayed on the Windows 8 Start Screen to control Dragon’s microphone outside of the Windows 8 Desktop environment.
- New Charms Bar commands to access the Windows 8 Charms Bar.
- New “Press Windows Key” command for Windows 8 navigation shortcuts.
- Ability to switch between the Start Screen and Desktop.
Microsoft Office 2013 support: Dragon 12.5 now provides support for Microsoft Office 2013 with the same functionality that was available for earlier versions of Microsoft Office.
- Note: To access the “File” tab in Office 2013, say the command “Click File Tab”. For more information, please refer to the Dragon Help file by clicking “Help > Help Topics”from the DragonBar.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 support: Dragon 12.5 now provides support for Internet Explorer 10 with the same functionality that was available for Internet Explorer 9.
Additional Rich Internet Applications support: In addition to the Gmail and Hotmail support through Dragon’s Rich Internet Application feature, support for Microsoft’s Outlook.com mail service is now available.
- Note: Rich Internet Applications support is available in Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or 10 (32-bit only), Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. For additional information and the latest supported browser versions, please see Technote 6861: “Information on RichInternet Application support”.
Floating Dragon Sidebar: Dragon Sidebar is now set to “Floating” by default. Previously, the Dragon Sidebar was set to “Docked to Right” by default, which could result in desktop icons and windows being moved when the Sidebar is displayed. Now with the Sidebar set to “Floating” mode, icons and windows will not be moved when the sidebar is displayed.
A Selection of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Bug Fixes
- Microsoft Word 2013 may stop responding during launch when Dragon NaturallySpeaking is running
- “New Paragraph” command not recognized in Dragon NaturallySpeaking
- Text is overwritten when dictating into a Microsoft Word Form
- Unable to move up/down when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 with Microsoft Outlook/Word
- Extra HTML code is inserted in WordPress Blogs when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12
- Cannot dictate single-digit numbers when in Spell Mode
- Natural Language Commands are not recognized when in Numbers Mode
- Unable to dictate into certain fields within Internet Explorer 10
Obtaining Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 12.5
The Service Pack is available for download through the Nuance Update Service. The Nuance Update Service is an automatic update service included with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
Important Note: To access the “Check for Updates” menu from within Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you must be logged into the computer as a Windows User account that has administrator level permissions.
Another Important Note: Back up/Export a copy of your Dragon user profile(s) BEFORE you apply the update (just in case). Start Dragon. Click Profile> Manage Users> Advanced> Export. Save to network, desktop or USB thumb drive.
To open the Nuance Update Service, do the following:
- Start Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.
- Click “Help > Check for Updates“.
- When the Update Service opens, select the “Service Pack 1 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking v12 – New” update.
- Click the “Download Only” button to save the Service Pack(s) to the computer.
- Select a location to save the file (such as the Windows Desktop) and click the “Save” button.
- Once downloaded, double-click on the “DNS12ServicePack1.exe” file to install the Service Pack. Please be sure to close out of all open applications before installing the Service Pack (except the Service Pack download itself).
Learn More about Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Dragon NaturallySpeaking & Related Information & Products
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Legal
- Minimum PC specifications for Dragon NaturallySpeaking
- Sennheiser DW Pro 1 wireless microphone
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Services
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Installation
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Training
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Support
- Speakeasy Solutions value-added (free remote technical support, Dragon vocabulary & regional word lists, commands & more)
Ordering a Dragon NaturallySpeaking Solution
About Speakeasy Solutions
For 13 years, Speakeasy Solutions has been providing speech recognition & digital voice dictation products and services across Canada to professionals, legal practitioners, health care providers, and government agencies.
Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, we offer on-site services within the lower mainland region, and will travel to any location within BC (i.e. Vancouver Island, the Okanangan etc.) or across Canada if desired. For those outside of the lower mainland, we offer remote services via telephone & Internet.