Announcing Dragon NaturallySpeaking Version 12.5 Update (SP1)

SeS Icon Dragon NaturallySpeaking Version 12.5 Update Speakeasy Solutions is pleased to announce the release of Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 12.5, a free service pack for those with a Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 12.0 licence.

This service pack is for nonmedical editions of Dragon such as Professional and Legal (i.e. this does not include Dragon Medical Practice Edition).

Version 12.5 introduces some bug fixes and improvements, some documented and some undocumented.

While increasingly compatible with Windows 8, there are a number of known issues concerning using Dragon NaturallySpeaking in a Windows 8 environment.  You may wish to read more about these known issues in these release notes.

A Selection of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Improvements

Improved Microsoft Windows 8 usability: Windows 8 is now fully supported with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5.

• The new Dragon Audio Bar can be displayed on the Windows 8 Start Screen to control Dragon’s microphone outside of the Windows 8 Desktop environment.
  • New Charms Bar commands to access the Windows 8 Charms Bar.
  • New “Press Windows Key” command for Windows 8 navigation shortcuts.
  • Ability to switch between the Start Screen and Desktop.

Microsoft Office 2013 support: Dragon 12.5 now provides support for Microsoft Office 2013 with the same functionality that was available for earlier versions of Microsoft Office.

• Note: To access the “File” tab in Office 2013, say the command “Click File Tab”. For more information, please refer to the Dragon Help file by clicking “Help > Help Topics”from the DragonBar.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 support: Dragon 12.5 now provides support for Internet Explorer 10 with the same functionality that was available for Internet Explorer 9.

Additional Rich Internet Applications support: In addition to the Gmail and Hotmail support through Dragon’s Rich Internet Application feature, support for Microsoft’s Outlook.com mail service is now available.

Floating Dragon Sidebar: Dragon Sidebar is now set to “Floating” by default. Previously, the Dragon Sidebar was set to “Docked to Right” by default, which could result in desktop icons and windows being moved when the Sidebar is displayed. Now with the Sidebar set to “Floating” mode, icons and windows will not be moved when the sidebar is displayed.

A Selection of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Bug Fixes

• Microsoft Word 2013 may stop responding during launch when Dragon NaturallySpeaking is running
  • “New Paragraph” command not recognized in Dragon NaturallySpeaking
  • Text is overwritten when dictating into a Microsoft Word Form
  • Unable to move up/down when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 with Microsoft Outlook/Word
  • Extra HTML code is inserted in WordPress Blogs when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12
  • Cannot dictate single-digit numbers when in Spell Mode
  • Natural Language Commands are not recognized when in Numbers Mode
  • Unable to dictate into certain fields within Internet Explorer 10

Obtaining Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 12.5

The Service Pack is available for download through the Nuance Update Service. The Nuance Update Service is an automatic update service included with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Important Note: To access the “Check for Updates” menu from within Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you must be logged into the computer as a Windows User account that has administrator level permissions.

Another Important Note:  Back up/Export a copy of your Dragon user profile(s) BEFORE you apply the update (just in case).  Start Dragon.  Click Profile> Manage Users> Advanced> Export.  Save to network, desktop or USB thumb drive.

To open the Nuance Update Service, do the following:

1. Start Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.
  2. Click “Help > Check for Updates“.
  3. When the Update Service opens, select the “Service Pack 1 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking v12 – New” update.
  4. Click the “Download Only” button to save the Service Pack(s) to the computer.
  5. Select a location to save the file (such as the Windows Desktop) and click the “Save” button.
  6. Once downloaded, double-click on the “DNS12ServicePack1.exe” file to install the Service Pack. Please be sure to close out of all open applications before installing the Service Pack (except the Service Pack download itself).

Speakeasy Solutions Inc. -- 13 Years

Learn More about Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Dragon NaturallySpeaking & Related Information & Products

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Services

Ordering a Dragon NaturallySpeaking Solution

About Speakeasy Solutions

For 13 years, Speakeasy Solutions has been providing speech recognition & digital voice dictation products and services across Canada to professionals, legal practitioners, health care providers, and government agencies.

Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, we offer on-site services within the lower mainland region, and will travel to any location within BC (i.e. Vancouver Island, the Okanangan etc.) or across Canada if desired. For those outside of the lower mainland, we offer remote services via telephone & Internet.

Contact Speakeasy Solutions today or read our FAQ.

This entry was posted in Dragon, New Products, Speech Recognition, Support Dragon & Mics. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Announcing Dragon NaturallySpeaking Version 12.5 Update (SP1)

1. tim karpenske says:

Itried to install 12.5 update and now the program will not open and i cannot find a web site to help trouble shoot the program or information on how to fix it

2. Bonnie Kaczmarek says:

I also just tried installing the service pack. I am getting an error it didn’t install correctly and I need to reinstall. I did not save the service pack file, I updated from Dragon and click to “run” not save. I don’t have the file to reinstall.

3. HansG says:

thank you for letting people know about all of this. Are these all the bugs that are being fixed? I have had some problems with NaturallySpeaking version 12 inserting spaces, somewhat randomly, when I am taking a short break within a sentence.

However, the concerns by other customers above make me a bit wary of updating…

Again, thanks for “being out there”, proactively, with information about NaturallySpeaking.

• Alexandria says:

There are other unlisted bug fixes but your situation seems to be more of a use issue than a bug (i.e. irregular spacing where there is no Full Text Control — which is to be expected).

If updates are handled with the usual caution (back up profile, reboot, upgrade, reboot, plus disabling certain anti virus etc. at each turn), any issues that can arise with updating are removed or at least minimized. Fitness of PC has a lot to do with success as well.

• HansG says:

thank you so much – I so wish you were in Ottawa, so that I could walk in for technical service & improvements. When NaturallySpeaking runs well, it makes such a difference, so that I would also gladly pay…

thanks for your help!

• Alexandria says:

We provide service all across Canada. Physical proximity is unnecessary actually.

We’ve been providing remote services for over 10 years, so if you are ever in need, just contact us to book an appointment for support, training or whatever your needs are.

Cheers.

And you’re welcome.

• HansG says:

excellent – I will collect some of my questions, and then get in touch hopefully for some à la carte consultation in a few weeks…

4. dan grifo says:

in version 12 i could use the “go to sleep” and “wake up” commands. i installed version 12.5 and now if i put the mic asleep it wakes up at random times. it is as if it is taking something in else that i say and thinking i said wake up. it is very annoying as it will wake up when i do not know it and start adding text to my documents. 12.0 was working fine so it is something in the upgrade/downgrade.

5. Kerry says:

I just installed 12.5 I run windows 7, 64 bit and outlook 2010. When outlook runs spell check and opens the spell correction dialog box, Outlook freezes with a macro error message. I have told outlook to run all macros (not a good idea), still freezes. I need to open task manager and close outlook to proceed. Only happens when dragon is loaded.

Please help.
    Kerry

6. Mike K says:

Installed 12.5 SP1. Now when I exit dragon speak 12.5, it lock up and does not terminate. After rebooting, it has deleted part of the profile.

How do I correct this problem?

7. Lyn says:

I have tried to download this as Dragon is unusable for me at the moment as it keeps crashing word.

When I try it comes back with a message saying ‘the agent failed to install and I must be an administrator and using my browser default settings. I am the administrator and I just checked the Internet explorer is set to default security settings’. What can I do about this. I am in the USA.

Note: I use Chrome as my default browser, would this cause the problem?

8. Ralph Thomas says:

I have just installed Dragon Home v12. I, perhaps wrongly, assumed that v12.5 upgrade was,as your websit says, to correct problems in v12. However, customer comments indicate v12.5 create more problems. Even more disturbing is Nuance’s response that they will help you resolve the problems but, they will charge for doing so. If the upgrade is also faulty why would you charge the customer for fixing a faulty upgrade? My fellow writers are quite interested in your reply.

• Hans Gutbrod says:

I have had good experiences with the upgrade, it solved several issues. As for Nuance’s customer service, this generally is not a happy subject. I’m not affiliated with Speakeasy Solutions, but working with a competent reseller is absolutely worth the investment.

• Ralph Thomas says:

Please explain what you mean by “working with a competent reseller.” Thanks

• Hans Gutbrod says:

Buying the software through them, incl the paid for upgrades, getting them to set you up, etc. Yes, it’s an extra cost but getting the software to work really well greatly enhances productivity. Hope that helps.

• Alexandria says:

Thank you, Hans. And I agree, but that sounds like a sales pitch coming from myself.

Not all value added resellers or consultants are equal with respect to their capacity to provide support. For our clients we move heaven and earth to assist them, and only in a handful of cases (over the span of 14 years) have they been unhappy — and this is often related to issues on their computer that cannot be controlled.

Our testimonials speak for themselves, I like to think.

• Alexandria says:

Speakeasy Solutions is not Nuance. We do not manufacture the software, nor have control over its quality. We are independent value added resellers who are at the mercy of the products we provide and support. However, we do possess the experience and expertise to resolve most issues or provide workarounds that arise in Dragon.

As with any professional providing service, we do wish to be paid for this knowledge.

As noted above, please direct any complaints regarding the software directly to Nuance. If in Canada and using Dragon Premium, Professional, Legal, or Medical, our assistance can be arranged at our current rates.

I hope that clarifies.

9. gary says:

MS word 2007 crashes constantly when using dragon 12.5 update, suggestions?
    “MSW trying to recover information”

10. Christopher Allen says:

Simply said yes to 12.5 update from the popup when I start 12.0, What a drag that clicking on simple update which seems to install but then after rebooting computer it says “isn’t installed completely, try reinstalling” . Don’t recall any warnings about backing up my user profile, looked like it was meant as a seamless update and now I will have to call tech support. you better not charge me or you’ll get a frustrated user experience. Why does dragon blame this in “pc fitness” in previous comments, these should run mostly independent of pc fitness.

• Alexandria says:

Christopher, we are not Nuance. Speakeasy Solutions is a Canadian solution provider of Dragon solutions. You will need to take up your experience with Nuance directly.

As for PC fitness, this potentially impacts any resident applications (not just Dragon). Computers and software seldom reside in a bubble and are impacted by everything from other application interactions, antivirus, firmware etc.

Again, please contact Nuance to express your grievance. We are not Nuance. Thank you.

11. Charles Petersen says:

Thank you for having Dragon 12.5 out there for us. It is amazing. I have no arms and Dragon 12.5 gives me the ability to compete with able-bodied peers. It is like giving me arms for the 1st time. I use it for the emails, chat rooms, Yahoo messenger, and Skype etc. I don’t know what I would do without it now. It has spoiled me rotten. Occasionally I have a small problem with it but I am able to usually fix it myself. Overall it is a magnificent program. I will be curious to see if there will be a version 13 and just what a version 13 could do to make it better. It is so good now I don’t know what could be done to improve it. I will be awaiting its arrival.