Dragon for Mac Medical
Now medical professionals on the Mac platform have a fast and easy way to transcribe their consults.
Increase Your Productivity
With Dragon® for Mac® Medical version 5, it's now easier to capture your patient's story—with richer detail and greater accuracy—in EMR or other applications.
Dragon for Mac Medical version 5 is now available for OS X El Capitan (10.11).
Version 5 now has support for Word 2016.
Built with a specialized medical vocabulary covering more than 90 medical specialties, Dragon for Mac Medical provides a more efficient way to accurately dictate medical record notes directly into EMR or other applications—all by voice.
Spend More Time with Patients
With the ability to dictate up to 3x faster than typing with up to 99% accuracy, capture detailed, high-quality medical record notes faster than ever before.
Speak Your Patient's Story
Designed with a specialized medical language model and built-in medical vocabulary covering more than 90 specialties and subspecialties, you can count on outstanding dictation accuracy from the first use.
Speak Freely and with Flexibility
No matter which device you use—a wireless mic in your office, your Mac’s built-in mic or a digital voice recorder—capture rich, detailed clinical narrative using whichever audio source best suits your needs.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or faster processor - Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 recommended.
RAM: 4GB, 8GB+ recommended
OPERATING SYSTEM: OS X Mavericks (10.9), OS X Yosemite (10.10), or OS X El Capitan (10.11).
OS X compatibility for recent Dragon Mac products, please see below.
|OS X 10.7
||OS X 10.8
||OS X 10.9
||OS X 10.10
||OS X 10.11|
|Dragon for Mac 5
|Dragon for Mac Medical 5
|Dragon Dictate 4||No||Yes||Yes||Requires 4.0.6||No|
|Dragon Dictate Medical 4||No||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Dragon Dictate 3
||Yes||Requires 3.0.2||Requires 3.0.4||No||No|
|Dragon Dictate Medical 3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
- Dragon for Mac Medical Version 5 Product Data Sheet
- Dragon for Mac Medical Version 5 Feature Matrix
- What's New in Dragon for Mac Medical Version 5
- Dragon for Mac Medical Version 5 Vocabulary List (disciplines & specialties)
- Dragon for Mac Medical Version 5 FAQ
- Dragon for Mac Version 5 Command Cheat Sheet
- Dragon for Mac Medical Version 5 Quick Start Guide -- the help function is within the product itself. There isn’t a PDF or online guide.
Place an Order
Additional Notes from Speakeasy Solutions
Installations & License
Dragon for Mac medical may be installed on 1 computer, with an additional computer as a backup. Additional computer installations require additional license purchases. This differs from Dragon Medical Practice Edition which permits installation on 4 computers.
Similar to Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 2 (for PC), Dragon for Mac Medical provides a DragonPad (formerly called the Express Editor) which is similar to the PC version's Dictation Box, enabling the user to dictate with full text control. Most Mac applications and environments do not allow editing or correcting by voice, therefore the DragonPad is vital for dictating into EMRs. Once dictation and proofreading is complete within the DragonPad, transfer the final text into the EMR -- all by voice.
Some individuals find that correcting in the DragonPad does not work if the intended word is not listed (the "edit n" command does not function). Moreover, some individuals find that when using the DragonPad and another application, the focus (and therefore the cursor) switch from the DragonPad to the application, making dictating into the DragonPad difficult.
Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac supports the following regional accents of non-native English speakers:
For US Spelling, there are 9 accent choices:
- American – Inland Northern
- American – Southern
- Southeast Asian
For UK Spelling there are 4 accent choices:
- Southeast Asian
Dragon for Mac Medical's vocabulary editor provides the ability to set alternate written forms (similar to the PC version of Dragon Medical).
Is Dragon for Mac Medical the same as Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 2 (for PC)?
Dragon for Mac Medical is based on the same speech recognition engine as Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 2 (for PC), and offers the same base 90 medical vocabularies, therefore providing excellent recognition accuracy for medical dictation.
However, Dragon for Mac Medical's ease of use and flexibility (i.e. vocabulary editor, application compatibility, features etc.) is not the same as Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 2 (for PC) -- although is vastly improved from previous Mac speech recognition products.
- The correction process in the Mac edition involves additional steps over the PC edition, is not reliable, and requires using hands.
- More commands need to be issued with the Mac edition over the PC edition in order to accomplish the same task by voice.
- Some words are resistant to being corrected or trained and thusly learned, which can be frustrating for some.
- There is no capability for roaming user profiles (i.e. synchronizing a user profile across multiple networked computers) in the Mac edition. If you use multiple Macs (i.e. several exam rooms), you will need to export your user profile and then import to the other Macs and there is where they will separate.
- The Mac edition does not permit multiple vocabularies within one user profile. A user profile must be created for each vocabulary required (i.e. general medical, non-medical, plus a specialty).
- The Mac product can only be installed on 2 computers.
Bottom line: If deciding between Mac or PC editions, choose the PC edition of Dragon Medical. However, Dragon for Mac Medical will be quite helpful for physicians already using a Mac in their practice. Dictating is, after all, faster than typing, and the accuracy is fantastic.