Dragon for Mac
Dragon Dictate for Mac works with your favourite Apple applications, including Mail, iChat, iCal, TextEdit, Pages, Safari and many more.
Dragon for Mac 5 Overview
The all-new Dragon® for Mac® version 5 delivers fast speech recognition that’s 15% more accurate than ever, along with versatile transcription and mobility features, to drive individual productivity at work.
Whether you’re creating documents, spreadsheets or presentations, sending emails, filling out forms or simply looking to reduce typing stress, Dragon for Mac drives productivity at work. Dictate and transcribe documents with a fully customizable experience that optimizes speed and accuracy. Even connect to the soon-to-be released Dragon Anywhere mobile app for iOS or Android for an end-to-end voice productivity solution that helps you work smarter and faster wherever your job takes you.
Most people can talk faster than they can type, so why not use your voice to quickly dictate and edit documents? Dragon for Mac lets you customize words for the terms you use every day, insert frequently-used text or graphics and create command short cuts for repetitive tasks, so you can complete documentation faster than ever before.
- Speed through document creation 3x faster than typing
- Enjoy increased accuracy as Dragon adapts to your voice
- Supports latest applications, including Microsoft Word 2016 with Full Text Control
With Dragon for Mac, you can transcribe voice memos from a smartphone or portable voice recorder, podcasts or audio files of any single speaker’s voice to text quickly, easily and accurately.
- Transcribe from .mp3 aif, .aiff , .wav, .mp4, .m4a, .m4v.
- Capture notes for accurate transcription
- Transcribe audio file of any single speaker’s voice
- Manage multiple sources for easy transition between personal dictation and other files
Imagine saying “Insert Signature” and Dragon fills in your contact details or dictating industry-specific terminology and Dragon types every word correctly—every time. With advanced customization and personalization features, Dragon for Mac intelligently adapts to the way you work to deliver big productivity gains.
- Get even better accuracy as Dragon continually adapts to your voice
- Customize words and commands to reflect your personal preferences
- Short-cut-cutting repetitive processes using simple voice commands
Achieve even better accuracy. Dragon for Mac provides improved accuracy over version 4.x (15% out of the box accuracy improvement over v4 and a 35% increase over
v3), with optimization for latest speech recognition technology and enhanced support for more accents.
Enhanced support for more accents. Dragon for Mac offers improved recognition of Canadian, SE Asian, Indian, and Australian English accents.
Voice commands and Full Text Control for Word 2016. Dragon for Mac provides support for Word 2016 with Full Text Control and built-in commands lets you effortlessly mix talking and typing.
Save transcribed files as MS Word documents. Transcription results can now
be saved as .RTF or Microsoft Word format and opened in your application of choice. Previously, transcription results appeared in the Notepad, meaning you had to copy
and paste them into your favorite application.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or faster processor - Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 recommended.
RAM: 4GB, 8GB+ recommended
OPERATING SYSTEM: OS X Mavericks (10.9), OS X Yosemite (10.10), or OS X El Capitan (10.11).
OS X compatibility for recent Dragon Mac products, please see below.
|OS X 10.7
||OS X 10.8
||OS X 10.9
||OS X 10.10
||OS X 10.11|
|Dragon for Mac 5
|Dragon for Mac Medical 5
|Dragon Dictate 4||No||Yes||Yes||Requires 4.0.6||No|
|Dragon Dictate Medical 4||No||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Dragon Dictate 3
||Yes||Requires 3.0.2||Requires 3.0.4||No||No|
|Dragon Dictate Medical 3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
- Dragon for Mac Version 5 Product Data Sheet
- Dragon for Mac Version 5 Feature Matrix
- What's New in Dragon for Mac Version 5
- Dragon for Mac Version 5 Command Cheat Sheet
- Dragon for Mac Version 5 Quick Start Guide -- the help function is within the product itself. There isn’t a PDF or online guide.
Additional Notes from Speakeasy Solutions
Installations & License
Dragon for Mac may be installed on 1 computer, with an additional computer as a backup. Additional computer installations require additional license purchases. This differs from Dragon Professional for PC which permits installation on 4 computers.
Dragon for Mac's vocabulary editor provides the ability to set alternate written forms (similar to the PC version of Dragon Professional).
Is Dragon for Mac the same as Dragon Professional (for PC)?
Dragon for Mac is based on the same speech recognition engine as Dragon Professional (for PC), and offers excellent recognition accuracy for medical dictation.
However, Dragon for Mac's ease of use and flexibility (i.e. vocabulary editor, application compatibility, features etc.) is not the same as Dragon Professional (for PC) -- although is vastly improved from previous Mac speech recognition products.
- The correction process in the Mac edition involves additional steps over the PC edition.
- There is no capability for roaming user profiles (i.e. synchronizing a user profile across multiple networked computers) in the Mac edition. If you use multiple Macs (i.e. several exam rooms), you will need to export your user profile and then import to the other Macs and there is where they will separate.
- The Mac product can only be installed on 2 computers.
Bottom line: If deciding between Mac or PC variants, choose the PC variant of Dragon. However, Dragon for Mac will be quite helpful for those already using a Mac in their office. Dictating is, after all, faster than typing, and the accuracy is fantastic.